Skip to main content


HomeChapter History





CHAPTER HISTORY



The Omicron Sigma Chapter was chartered on Dec. 1, 1933, and is one of Phi Beta Sigma's oldest graduate chapters. Omicron Sigma's charter members include Bro. E.A. Burson, Bro. C.C. Pedford, Bro. C.A. Walton, Bro. Taft Wilson and Bro. A.B. Henderson. The chapter was reactivated in May of 2006 after a four-year hiatus by 11 Sigma men residing in the North Dallas, Denton and Collin County areas.


Omicron Sigma, since its return, has made a significant impact in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Omicron Sigma's first big honor since reactivation was earning the 2007 Phi Beta Sigma Lone Star Graduate Chapter Social Action Program of the Year Award for its "Omicron Sigma Claus" toy drive. The chapter donated toys to the Jireh House, which caters to displaced and expectant mothers and their children in Denton County. The chapter also was a multi-time recipient of the Lone Star Chapter Website of the Year Award.


Omicron Sigma's commitment to the founding principles is the driving force in helping Phi Beta Sigma become a leader in the community. Members of the chapter led the charge in chartering the Beta Beta Mu Chapter at Texas Christian University and also were instrumental in the undergraduate growth at Texas Wesleyan University, Texas Woman's University and the University of Texas at Dallas. Omicron Sigma, in the past, has worked well with the other four graduate chapters in the Dallas/Fort Worth area -- Alpha Theta Sigma Chapter of Fort Worth, Theta Mu Sigma Chapter of Dallas, Iota Mu Sigma Chapter of Arlington, and Tau Zeta Sigma Chapter of Frisco.


Omicron Sigma features officers from the international, Gulf Coast Region and Texas state executive boards. It also includes several past international executive board members, as well as international and Gulf Coast regional life members. The chapter exemplifies the fraternity's motto: "Culture for Service and Service for Humanity."